Monday, August 22, 2011

Top 10 Maine Places I'll Miss

Well, I’m back! I know it’s been a while, but I’ve been busy and things are about to get even more insane. On Thursday, yes, Thursday, I leave for New York. I’m heading to the 607 for grad school and I’m not really sure if I’ll ever come back to the 207. I mean I’ll be back to visit obviously – my family, friends and some of my favorite places are in Maine. I have lived here for 23 years and I’ve got so many memories in the pine tree state, but it’s time for me to find my inner Columbus and do some exploring. So, without further ado, here are the top 10 places I’ll miss (in no particular order).


No. 1 – My house – I’ve become quite fond of the place I’ve been living in for the past 12 years. I’m super close with Mom, Dad, Michelle and my grandparents and I’ll miss them dearly. I’ll miss my walk-in closet, cute bathroom, the ‘man room,’ the claw foot bathtub that provided several ice baths, Mom’s cooking, Dad’s everyday solutions, and pretty much everything about Michelle. Lucky for me, I know it’ll all be waiting when I return for a visit.


No. 2 – The gym – The Northern York County YMCA may sound like it’s a gym for people over the age of 60 and it pretty much is, except for my phenomenal group of friends/running buddies/female meatheads. Call them what you want, they’re awesome. We’ve made great memories, laughed about so many things, cried, shared inappropriate stories and supported each other through several individual feats. More on this wonderful place later.


No. 3 – University of Southern Maine – Karma. Murphy’s Law. Fate. Whatever it may be, it’s pretty funny that the one place I dreaded going four years ago is one of the places I’ll miss the most. I met some of my best friends there and had great experiences that have helped shape me into who I am today. One class totally changed my career path and I look forward to seeing where sports management takes me. By the end of my time as a Husky, I was soooo good at stalking people for a space in the parking garage, navigating MaineStreet, paying to print and arguing with all of my liberal classmates. It was fun.



No. 4 – The beach – I’m going to upstate New York. This means two things: 1. No beach. 2. Lots of snow. Sounds less than awesome, but I mean, as of right now, it’s only for nine months.




No. 5 – Trader Joes/No. 6 – Whole Foods – Love, love, love both of these places. I’m usually in and out of the Marginal Way organic shopping area in less than an hour with everything I need. Not looking forward to getting used to a new organic/health food store. BUT, there is a pretty sweet looking farmer’s market right down the street from me!!!


No. 7 – The Old Port – Oh, Old Port, how much fun you have provided me with in these last two years. I have to laugh when I think about it, because there have been some pretty awesome times. There doesn’t really need to be an explanation for the fun I’ve had there – that’s between me and whoever had the pleasure of enjoying it with me. “Are we moving?”… ‘It’s going to be a dangerous night!”… Just you wait until I’m back to visit.



No. 8 – Arundel Wharf – Pretty sweet location for a summer job, don’t you think? I worked on a deck, in the sun, watching the sun rise, boats sail around the port, in a polo and shorts. Fun! I’m pretty over the tourists, but it was a great way to make money this summer. I met some great people who go all over the country for school, work and fun and I hope I can stay in touch with most of them.



No. 9 – Birchwood Lane – Ever since the ‘kids’ made dinner last summer, there have been thousands of laughs at a certain Birchwood Lane residence. I wouldn’t say is necessarily the house itself that I’ll miss as much as the people in it. The nine of us all together make up some of the best family anyone could ask for. How can I not miss them?!


No 10 – Maine Running Company – The absolute best running supply store in the state has provided me with everything I need for the most rewarding hobby I’ve ever had. Sneakers, rollers, body glide, Feetures socks and my cute Beach to Beacon outfits have all come from Maine Running, and this girl has grown a bit attached! I did see something similar in Ithaca, but it’ll take some getting used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment