Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Empire State of Mind

Well, I made it. Like really, I’m in New York. I mean, I’ve been talking about this for over a year now and it’s probably not even set in yet, but I’m here.


I’ve been in the Big Apple since last Thursday and I have yet to find something that I really dislike. Granted, it’s not snowing yet. Stay tuned, I’m sure that will change.


I’ve got tons of fun things to share so here’s a quick rundown of the highlights thus far:


The Farmers Market: Um hi! This place is totally awesome. Tons and tons of local vendors selling plants, veggies, fruit, bread, baked goods, authentic cuisine, honey, sauces, wooden carvings, etc. You name it, someone in Ithaca makes it and sells it at Steamboat Landing on the weekends. These are my first few purchases at said farmer’s market – a rosemary plant, honey and gerber daisies (ya, they are in a Nalgene, don’t judge, they are in a vase now).


The gym: I’ll admit I was unimpressed with the hours at first, but I’m getting used to them quickly. I’ve already pulled double workouts twice (love that I have the time to do that right now!) and it’s pretty sweet. I even have a female lifting buddy, which is super cool since half the people in there are jacked dudes. It’s a refreshing change from the good ole’ Y being that all the machines work, basically each machine has its own TV, the free weights don’t give me metal splinters, people are actually my age, the locker room is pretty clean, etc. Basically, it’s smothered in awesome sauce. (Thanks for that one, Jen!)


The roommates: This couldn’t have worked out better. We all get along great and haven’t annoyed each other (that we know of) so I’m thinking these are good matches. Lyndsay is in Sport Management with me and Ilana is going for her Master’s in Musical Theater.


Ithaca College campus: I am here for school so I guess this is pretty important. Just as I was told, it’s a gorgeous place! I’ve gotten lost once or twice on campus, but that’s supposed to happen.



Sport Management crew: While my program seems like it’s going to be pretty intense, everyone gets along great which will come in handy I’m sure. The few girls we have are already planning an outing tomorrow night and others have a little bromance going so this should be a pretty fun bunch. It’s weird to be able to have legit sports-related conversations with girls that actually get it, know what I’m talking about AND like it!


The assistantship: This should be super fun and a great learning experience. I’m working with the Athletics Department, focusing on Event Management. My first task – work the field hockey game Thursday. My second – Football game Saturday. Sounds pretty sweet if you ask me. I know I’ll be spending a ton of time here – our new Athletics and Events Center that houses swimming, indoor track, a bomb weight room, field hockey and soccer field. Triathlete friends – you might have to come visit me just to look at the pool. Be Jealous.



So ya, that’s my last week in a nutshell. Oh and of course I’ve got a ‘Must-do-in-Ithaca-before-I-leave’ list going: hicking, gorge, picnic, Syracuse football, visit Cornell, it’s getting longer by the minute.




I mean, I was excited before, but now that I’ve seen what this next year holds… I’M REALLY EXCITED!!! I plan on taking advantage of every opportunity and enjoying the journey for once. Like I’ve said several times, I’ve got one year to do grad school and I’m going to do it right.


Here’s to my new place of living and I believe Jay-Z has put it best …


There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York”


No comments:

Post a Comment