Sunday, October 24, 2010

E-ST-J What?!

If you’ve ever taken a Myers Brigg’s Assessment, you already know what ESTJ means and you might even be one yourself. If you haven’t, you’re probably wondering exactly what the acronym is all about. Well, here it is in a nutshell…

For my Peer Leadership Seminar, we were all asked to take the Myer’s Brigg’s Assessment – Most of my classmates had taken it before, but this was my first experience so I was pretty curious. It’s about 200 questions that you are supposed to answer ‘without thinking,’ essentially answering with a natural instinct. Despite my skepticism about the whole thing, I answered the questions and predicted my results during the following class meeting. Turns out, when we got the results back, they were just as I had predicted.

E – Extroversion: “People who tend to focus their attention of the outer world of people and things.”
This is the really the only one that I sort of debated between. While I really like to be surrounded by people, I also LOVE my alone time. Going out is fun, but after a long week, there is nothing like a lazy night with a glass of wine, baking and watching some tube. However, like extroverts, I think aloud and readily take initiative, so I guess for now, I am a little bit of both.

S – Sensing: “People who tend to take in information through the five senses and focus on the here and now.”
I often see the trees rather than the forest, meaning that I focus on details rather than the big picture. Totally true. I make sure all the little pieces of the puzzle are complete before I look at the whole. I trust experience, like direction and I’m probably the most specific person you’ll meet. No sugar-coating or adding fluff with me.

T – Thinking: “People who tend to make decisions based primarily on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect.”
Essentially, I see the world in black and white. I firmly believe there is a cause for every effect and vice versa and that everything happens for a reason. Sure, I can be see as ‘tough-minded,’ but I follow logic, rules and I tend to sway to the objective side of reasoning. Want an example of a famous ESTJ? Remember Robert De Niro’s character Jack Byrnes in Meet the Parents? Yup, that’s me. There’s no ‘maybe,’ I prefer ‘yes’ or ‘no.’

J – Judging: “People who tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled.”
I live by my planner. I write everything down in that thing and while I would probably survive if I lost it, my world would be turned upside-down. I’m sure I drive everyone I know crazy with my need to plan, but I’m never the late one, the disorganized one or the last-minute one. I need closure, have a ‘system’ for just about everything and can’t ‘play’ until my work is done.

I am one of the most extreme cases of ESTJ. My professor said this was the first time he has ever seen someone with such a distinct result. The ESTJ blend is driven by their needs to analyze and bring into logical order the outer world of events, people and things. If they had a motto, it would be “just do it, and do it right.” An ESTJ likes to organize, complete tasks quickly, take their responsibilities seriously and believe other should do so as well. Us ESTJs are loyal, dedicated, motivated and apparently have a tendency to be athletic.

After reading this, you make think that I am a stress case with a super-planned life. Well, I am, but, I like it. I actually love it. I am always on the go, but my ESTJ-ness allows me to balance my day-to-day responsibilities. I tend to be pretty high strong when it comes to meeting deadlines and following schedule, but its how and I am and all I know. I really do feel like taking the assessment helped me to understand how and why I think the way I do and why some of the people surrounding me do why they do. So, if you’re ever asked to take the Myer’s Brigg’s Assessment, do it and take it seriously.
Take a look at this sweet ESTJ shirt I stumbled upon online that made me laugh ...




No comments:

Post a Comment