Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Year of Lessons Learned

I know you’re really supposed to do this stuff at the END of the year, but I was busy. So enjoy the next couple of 2010-in-review posts. Lucky for you, none of my 2010 reminscing has anything to do with the characters below.

They say you learn something everyday, so looking back on what I learned in an entire year should be easy, right? Not so much. I did a lot of growing up this year and so here’s a short list of my top lessons learned:

Don’t Give Up: I know this cliché is overstated, overrated and just totally overdone, but it’s true and pretty simple. Don’t give up. On Anything. It’s much easier to throw in the towel, but far more rewarding to reap the benefits of your hard work. I’ve run two marathons, I’m almost done college and I’ve turned into one of the most stubborn girls you’ll ever meet. If I put my mind to it, I know I can do it.

Trust Your Instincts: That gut feeling? Trust it because chances are its right. I no longer debate decisions, do the whole what-if thing or question myself (well, maybe at mile 26.1, but just for a minute or two).

I Can Stand on my Own Two Feet: While I may have this you-can’t-mess-with-me attitude, I used to depend on everyone else but myself. Well, not last year. So many things happened regarding relationships, academics, friendships – pretty much in all aspects of my life – that made me realize I can do it all on my own. I accomplished a lot in 2010 and needless to say, I can’t wait for 2011.

Spontaneity Often Provides the Most Fun: I’m such a planner that I’ve come to rely on having a set schedule for everything, even things that are supposed to be fun. But sometimes, the anticipation and the work that goes into planning takes away from the enjoyment. So many of my great memories of 2010 came via spontaneity and I plan on trying to let that happen more often. My father, sister and some of my best friends are all very anti-plan and they’ve been encouraging me to sway their way for a very long time now. I guess there’s no time like the present, right?
Next up: Top 10 of 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment